Saturday, July 26, 2008

Smoothie Revisions!

I've made some updates to our smoothie regimen! In my quest for healthy stuff to feed my kids, I've stumbled upon Kefir, an ancient cultured milk beverage, similar to yogurt but with additional benefits AND easier to make, plus it's much, much cheaper than buying yogurt!!! A great blog on making kefir can be found here along with recipes and other fun stuff. My new smoothie contains all the ingredients in the above picture: A quart of kefir, two banans, a cup of orange juice, about 1/4 cup of raw honey, two heaping tablespoons of Green Magma powder, a handful of strawberries, and 6 or so ice cubes.
Here's the smoothie just before mixing - I guess you'd call it chunky at this point, not smoothie. It blends up to a nice even green and is a thinner consistency than my previous, yogurt-based recipe.
The taste testers agree: smoothies rock!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Vanderklok Family said...

Aww, that's a cute picture! My kids love their kefir smoothies, too. Ours sounds similar to yours, but we don't add OJ and we also had some flax oil.

Serenity said...

I usually use the OJ to swish around and get the kefir out of the bottom of the jar. And I do usually use flax seed oil but we ran out and are waiting until the next buying club order. =)

Lydilos said...

Yummy! Makes me want to start them.