Monday, July 28, 2008

A lotus bag for Nancy!!

My friend Nancy is considering having a lotus birth - which is a newer practice in the gentle birth movement in which parents choose not to cut the cord, rather to keep the placenta attached to the baby until the cord falls off. You can read more about lotus birth here at the Labor of Love site. So I spent a little time this morning making this placenta bag for her to use if she decides to do the lotus birth! The bag is a very soft merino wool that a dear friend gave me in the form of a sweater she had shrunk. It was rather small for me to make a diaper cover from but perfect for this project! The bag has an oval bottom and slightly angled sides to make it easy to get the placenta in and out when needed. Then I sewed a bias binding around the top which was leftover from a project I made in college and threaded burgundy ribbon through it for a drawstring.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Vanderklok Family said...

I love it, Serenity! It is so beautiful. :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful bag. Please wish your friend all the best. We'd love to hear about how the birth and goes as we are also having a Lotus Birth in November this year.

Rufus & Elena Duffin

Anonymous said...

You are amazing!!!

Hugs,
Heather